Independence is a neat town. All of this time that we have been in Kansas, I was thinking that Independence was just an extension of Kansas City. It wasn't like that at all. Independence still maintains a small town feel, despite the close proximity to KC. We set up the camper on Friday evening and went for a walk with Rhoda around town to check things out.
| Cool cardboard animal mounts we saw in a shop called "All about Harry" in Independence. |
| Entranced while watching a movie in the camper on the iPad.... Don't they look excited? :) |
| Probably the happiest camper of them all... look at that smile! I love that girl!! |
We got up on Saturday morning and went to the ticket place and took the kids through the home of Harry and Bess Truman at 219 Delaware St. It was a neat tour. the park service limits the size of the groups to 8 people or fewer to limit the weight and wear and tear on the home. It was neat to see how the President rose from modest beginnings and then later returned to those same humble beginnings after the presidency. They led a modest life in a great small town. The tour focussed on the greatness of Truman through challenging times post-WWII. I attempted to explain some of the controversial decisions Truman made during his time in office to Traci and the kids. When I got done with my story... Elijah said, "Wow, Dad, that was a really long story." I said, "Yeah, I think I put your Mom to sleep" (Traci was a little sleepy following the tour and packing up the camper.). Elijah then said, "Yeah, I almost fell asleep too.. are you done now? I'm going to take a nap." It was too funny. I guess my history lesson should have been more exciting or shorter. Ha.
We spent the rest of the weekend relaxing and prepping for our move. We went through a lot of our stuff and re-organized things for the packers. We are packing up in just a few weeks... so time it of the essence...

No comments:
Post a Comment