We called MWR and the Provost Marshall to see that we were allowed to set up the camper. We parked across from Infantry Barracks in a parking lot next to the swimming pool for Friday night. We get all set up and then went to the Chapel to hear a guest speaker. We had a really nice time. We heard Richard Blackaby speak on the topic of his newest book, The Seasons of God. It was really good. He talked about how we have different cyclical cycles in our lives as believers. During the Spring time, we experience new beginnings and new growth in our spiritual lives. In the Summer, we work to cultivate these ministries and produce fruit. In the fall we harvest the fruits of our spring and summer labor. At times, we experience winters- when things come to an end. We use those times to look forward to the opportunities of new springs in our lives- and to reflect on the past seasons. It was a very good series. We met for two sessions on Friday night- with a meal and then for two more sessions on Saturday evening with another meal as well. Richard Blackaby is the son of Henry Blackaby- another successful Christian pastor. leader, and author.
After the sessions on Friday night, we spent the night with our kids in the camper on post. The post yard sale started bright and early the next morning. We took the kids over to our friends' house to sell some of their treasures in the hopes of striking it rich. It was a great experience. People tend to haggle back and forth with kids less than they do with adults. Our kids parted with all of the stuff we set out to get rid of-- and made a little money on the way. We donated the stuff that didn't sell- so everyone was happy. Less stuff to move!
After we got the kids set up selling, Traci and I went to a brunch with a few other friends at the Schmidts' home to spend some more time with Richard Blackaby. It was a nice time together with friends and in some good conversation with the group. Following the breakfast, we pulled the camper home and made our way back to the chapel for the last session of the conference.
I had a little trouble with getting the camper situated at the house. I pulled a little bit too far off the stone in our driveway backing up the camper. As a result of the recent rains, I tore up the yard pretty good.. and had to do a large circle through the yard to get the camper parked. I did a little bit of cleanup this week to the yard and the vehicles- all is fine now.
We continue to really enjoy the camper a lot. I did not really anticipate the way it has changed our family dynamic. It is great to look forward to spending time together on the road or just at the house in our camper. This is one purchase that I spent a great deal of time contemplating. We went back and forth for about 4 months weighing the pro's and con's of different campers we found for sale locally and on the internet. I'm very happy with the decision that we have made. This is one of the few purchases in our married life that I can confidently say everyone is excited about. The kids have thanked me repeatedly over the past few weeks for buying the camper. Traci is really excited about it too. We have spent a lot of time organizing and re-organizing the stuff in the camper to be sure we have what we need in there together. Everyone has been very excited about it.
More adventures to come--- from a satisfied camper...
I've been weighing the idea of making some modifications to the camper:
1. I looked at adding a solar panel to the roof to help with recharging the batteries. The ones available through the local dealer are a bit too much for my taste. I looked at AMSolar- they have great systems, but no one in the area that installs them. We might have to stop in Portland on our way to Washington to get one installed. We will see. The electrical system on the camper is both DC and AC. The panel would allow us to use the DC power for lights without being connected to a power source- dry camping- or "Boondocking" out in the woods away from civilization. We can still do that, but over extended time, we would need a power source.
2. Along the same line, I've been considering adding a power inverter to the camper. This device converts power from DC to AC power to allow limited use of small AC devices. It's not enough power to run big appliances- AC, TV, Microwave, but enough to charge a phone or computer if needed. This part would cost about $600. It would be convenient- but for now, I'm not convinced that we need it. Together these devices would help improve our camper, but it would cost a lot... so for now, I think we are going to hold off until it would be more convenient to make the changes.
3. I've been considering adding a bluray player to the camper like the newer models have. The trouble is the newer models have the HDMI cables routed through the interior of the camper to allow you to keep the player securely inside of a cabinet. We could make some changes to the provided stereo to make this work, but- again, I'm not sure it is worth it. Routing an HDMI cable through the camper is a major change- requiring removing a great deal of the equipment in the camper to make it work. I'm not going to do it. For now, we can just grab the bluray player from the house and connect it directly to the tv in the camper to make it work. I'm going to be fine with it- I'm sure Traci and the kids don't care either. I was just looking into it.
4. I was considering changing the TV from the 17" that is provided to a 22" Samsung that comes standard with the newer models. This would provide a wide-screen picture that is different than the square display we currently have. I may still do that, but I'm still thinking about it. I need to check to see if the new TV sets are only AC or both DC and AC. The sony TV currently in the camper has a plug in it that says DC on it, but the TV only works when the camper is connected to an AC source. I'm not sure what the power requirements are for this set. I'll get it figured out-- but for now we are holding.
Well, it is snowing out here. We will see what the weather holds for the rest of the week and this weekend.... Good times are on the way.
We are moving out of our place on the 31st of May right now. We should get some great family time in the camper until we get to Joint Base Lewis McChord. We are excited about our summer adventures.
Take care!
Steve![]() |
| Mount Rainier- in our near future! |




No comments:
Post a Comment