Friday, June 28, 2013

Friday, June 28th- To Grand Teton we will go!

Traci did some grocery shopping in the morning to be sure we had plenty to eat in the parks for the coming days.  I’m glad she did.  Even though there are a lot of shops in the park, the prices are pretty high for most things.  I walked down the neighboring Starbucks and got a coffee while the kids drank hot chocolate before we got on the road- Great start to the day!- all decked out in our cowboy boots J
We started driving north on 191 up into the mountains.  For the most part, we took our time on the road.  The mountains got bigger and bigger.  We stopped quite a few times to take family pictures.  It was such a beautiful day.  There were a lot of wildflowers out as well.  We really had a great time together seeing all of the beautiful sites.  The mountains are huge and shaped different than any other mountains we have seen in the US.  It was beautiful.

We spent the night at a full service hookup park inside Grand Teton NP- Colter Bay campground.  It was a really nice campground.  Grand Teton had gone with a different privatized campground company.  The other national parks have privatized the management of the campgrounds through a different company, but you can call one phone number to make your reservations with most of the different parks through the same number.  Grand Teton is different.  They went with a different company.  It was a really nice campground through.  We had not stayed at too many parks that have the sewer hookup at the campsites before.  I wish I had saved the sewer pipe support system that was crammed into the camper when we bought it.  I could have used it.  Instead, there was a collection of rocks there that previous campers had used to build a ramp to the drain.  After a little time, it worked fine… I might have to pick one of them up whenever I get to an RV shop- outside of the parks.  Colter Bay was a great place to camp.  The waterfront views of the Teton Mountains were breathtaking. 

Oh, I almost forgot- good news!-  The housing people on JBLM called and they have a house for us.  We are excited about it.  The house is brand new, never lived in.  The house is within 1 mile of my work, so I should be able to ride my bike or walk to work.  The house is good sized and also has a garage.  So, we are excited about that.  We had debated trying to live in the camper for a while longer when we got to JBLM, but this seemed like a great opportunity.













Campsite in Grand Teton NP at Colter Bay


The kids thought these were a hit... they had never seen pay phones before... has it been that long??  they serve a purpose in the park system though- where there is little if any service..



John Colter- Private on the Lewis and Clark Expedition... 





Relaxing...

No comments:

Post a Comment