Saturday, June 29, 2013

Saturday, June 29th- Leaving Grand Teton- heading to Yellowstone

We relaxed in the morning and got ourselves all packed up.  I took Rhoda for a run for a few miles in the park.  We ran on a lakefront trail out to a point and then sat there and watched some boats go by for a bit.  It was beautiful.  We got back to the camper and I got a shower and took the kids over to a gift shop--they were dying to look at souvenirs.  When we got back, we pulled the camper out of the spot and checked out.  We went down to the education center there at the Colter Bay area and spent some time in there.  It was really nice. 

Before I went into the education center another Airstreamer stopped by and we talked for a bit  He talked about how he had some major trouble with this tires popping and causing major damage to his camper.  He was a lawyer and said he had sent a letter to Goodyear and they paid for the damages to his camper as a result of two tire failures.  He highly suggested getting rid of the Trailer tires in favor of Light Truck tires- that he claims are more reliable.  He also said that he changed to a 16” wheel at the recommendation of an AS dealer technician in Ohio that he had gone to.  That’s not the first time I have heard of trailer owners switching to LT tires.  I had seen some of that in the Airstream forums before.  He also had one of those wireless tire pressure monitoring systems installed.  They are $275 and come with 4 wireless sensors that you put in the trailer tires.  There is a small display that you put up on your dash that displays the tire pressure and temperature- to help you avoid having a catastrophic blowout at 65 mph- like I did.  – Hey, the repair job turned out pretty well… but I’ll have to admit that I do look at my tires all the time, hoping and praying that I won’t have another issue with them.  I might follow that guy’s advice and switch to the LT trucks for durability.  I need to do more homework on the rim size change though.  I’m not sure if that’s a requirement or not.  LT tires should come in a 15” size- I think.  I’ll do my homework later- but that makes sense.- OK enough Technical stuff.

We had a great day!  We drove through some beautiful country on our way up to the Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone park.  There is so much wildlife to see here.  We saw deer, elk, and buffalo- lots and lots of them today.  We went to a few different gift shops today too.  We got the kids some different souvenirs in some of the shops.  We got the boys some hiking staffs.  They are pretty neat.  They have different pins that you can tack into the staffs from the different parks.  We have Grand Teton and Yellowstone covered so far.  It was a neat idea.. and the boys are really excited about it.  LeAnn got a journal and some different stickers from the parks.  She also got some different earrings that are really nice.  Traci and I got some Christmas ornaments from the parks.  

Takeaways from the day:

It was great to see how excited the kids and Traci get seeing the wildlife!

God’s creation is amazing- the Parks are beautiful!

I am so thankful for the foresight of our forefathers to preserve these parks—we live in a beautiful country!

Large groups of people trampling over each other to take pictures of wildlife- is not fun.. J


I’m so glad we did this trip with our family!
Kids in the visitors center at Grand Teton NP


Showing off his fancy boots.

LeAnn's new earrings- bear..
and Moose..


Off to see a waterfall...




No comments:

Post a Comment